Thursday, December 07, 2006

In the Middle

I'm in the exact middle of my interviews... 6 down, 6 to go. As I sit at my aunt and uncle's dining room table, I struggle to write thank-you notes for my last 2 interviews. This is an exhausting process (which is to be expected...since most of medical school has been draining!). And now, to add to the fun, I have a cold. Probably from all the flying, lack of sleep, and stress.
I am thankful that I got these interviews, and that the surgeons took time to interview me. But, gosh, it is super-painful to write these thank-yous. I mean, what am I supposed to say that doesn't sound cheesy, generic, or insincere? Thank-you... I really like your program...I enjoyed talking to you...I plan to rank your program highly...I was impressed by the residents. Are they even going to read it? Put it in my file and read it a month from now when are ranking their candidates? Or, put all the thank-you notes in one file and realize that they all say pretty much the same thing?
I just want to be a surgical resident and work hard to become a good surgeon.
People should respect doctors, if only for all the pain they had to go through to become one!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi Tab. How was Utah? Did they give you yummy crab cakes and potstickers? Your boots inspired me and I'm going to go Goodwilling until I find some. Good luck with those evil thank you notes.
Laura