Yesterday, I went to the doctor for one of the few times in my life that I can remember. I am not deathly ill; it was just for my toe (the one Forrest smashed when I was a small child). The podiatrist (foot doctor) is one of those embarrasing doctors to visit. But, I will tell you all about it anyway. :)
In the waiting room, I filled out the information form wrote "discoloration and thickening of the toenail". The nurse took me into the examination room and sat me down. She looked at my toe and said, "That should be easy to fix," and left the room.
As I sat waiting for the doctor, I surveyed the room. To my surprise, instead of a counter/sink in the corner of a room, there sat a Craftsman tool chest on wheels. On top of it was a metal tool box, beside which there lay a Dremel tool. What do they do in this office??? Hammer toes?
I had a quite a few minutes of peace and quiet to study the mechanisms of antibiotics before the doctor came in. I was curious as to what he would do since I had already been self-diagnosed with foot fungus. Everything I read said I would need to be treated with Lamisil or another oral antifungal drug to kill the organisms for many weeks at a cost of about $500.
When the doctor entered, he took one look at my toe and said to me, "This should be an easy fix, but it could take about 6 months." Then, he opened the tool box, took out what appeared to be small wire cutters, and proceeded to chop away at my nail. Then, he picked up the Dremmel tool and ground away at my nail. Now, I know why guys would go into podiatry. :) When he was finished with the debridement. I thought, "Ok, here comes the drugs."
In the waiting room, I filled out the information form wrote "discoloration and thickening of the toenail". The nurse took me into the examination room and sat me down. She looked at my toe and said, "That should be easy to fix," and left the room.
As I sat waiting for the doctor, I surveyed the room. To my surprise, instead of a counter/sink in the corner of a room, there sat a Craftsman tool chest on wheels. On top of it was a metal tool box, beside which there lay a Dremel tool. What do they do in this office??? Hammer toes?
I had a quite a few minutes of peace and quiet to study the mechanisms of antibiotics before the doctor came in. I was curious as to what he would do since I had already been self-diagnosed with foot fungus. Everything I read said I would need to be treated with Lamisil or another oral antifungal drug to kill the organisms for many weeks at a cost of about $500.
When the doctor entered, he took one look at my toe and said to me, "This should be an easy fix, but it could take about 6 months." Then, he opened the tool box, took out what appeared to be small wire cutters, and proceeded to chop away at my nail. Then, he picked up the Dremmel tool and ground away at my nail. Now, I know why guys would go into podiatry. :) When he was finished with the debridement. I thought, "Ok, here comes the drugs."
He said, "Put some Vicks VapoRub on it once a day for a a few months and that should take care of it. There are drugs you could use to treat it, but they are only effective about 40% of the time, plus they can damage your liver."
I was dumbfounded. No prescription? Alternative, non-FDA approved therapy?! I feel somewhat cheated. Now I understand patients who want a prescription whether they need it or not just to "get their money's worth" on a visit to the doctor. I hope it works. It is definitely worth a try- although I am somewhat disappointed to have spent money going to the doctor, only to be told to buy some VVR! Ah, the sad state of drug-loving citizens. :)
No comments:
Post a Comment